Carers GP Visit Card
Allows the carer to visit a participating family doctor (General Practitioner) for free.
This does not apply if you already hold or are eligible for a medical card.
The Carer’s GP visit card is for the Carer, not for the person being cared for. The person being cared for may qualify for a GP visit card or a full medical card, but that is a separate issue. For instance, a child who is granted Domiciliary Care Allowance will automatically qualify for a full medical card without a means test.
The Carer’s GP visit card is NOT means tested.
A GP visit card:
○ Allows you to visit a participating family doctor (GP) for free.
○ It does not cover hospital charges.
○ Prescribed drugs are not free but may be partially or fully covered by the Drugs Payment Scheme.
○ The GP visit card does cover visits to GP out of hours services.
○ Blood tests to diagnose or monitor a condition are covered.
All children under the age of 6 can get a GP visit card.
The GP visit card is available to everyone aged over 70 without a means test.