Benefits and Allowances

For those recently diagnosed with narcolepsy, or for the parent(s), spouse, partner or carer of someone who has been recently diagnosed, a bewildering number of new problems enter their lives. The object of this website is to help those so affected as much as possible by offering some guidance and explanations in as many areas as possible to make it a little easier to navigate this unfamiliar new world.

This particular sequence deals with the various benefits and allowances (entitlements)  which are available, some of which may apply to your particular situation. There are many different circumstances that people find themselves in and each individual’s particular situation will determine which entitlements may apply.  Further on, We will give some examples of how entitlements might work in some specific instances, but first we will look at the main benefits / allowances that are available and explain as simply as possible how they work. In each instance we include at the bottom a link to the Citizens Information website where fuller details are available.

What are the main benefits, allowances, grants or other entitlements that may be relevant to a person who has narcolepsy or to their parent(s) or carer?


Carers allowance

Carer's Allowance is a payment to people on low incomes who are looking after a person of any age who needs support because of age, disability or illness.



Carers benefit

Carer's Benefit is a payment made to insured people who leave the workforce to care for a person(s) in need of full-time care and attention.


Carers GP visit card

Allows the carer to visit a participating family doctor (General Practitioner) for free.

Carers leave

Carer's Leave allows employees to leave their employment temporarily to provide full-time care for someone in need of full-time care and attention.

Carers support grant

The Carer's Support Grant (Respite Grant) is an annual payment made to carers by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP).

Disability allowance

Disability Allowance is a payment for people with a specified disability whose income falls below certain limits and who are aged between 16 and under 66.

domiciliary care allowance

Domiciliary Care Allowance (DCA) is a monthly payment for a child aged under 16 with a severe disability, who requires ongoing care and attention, substantially over and above the care and attention usually required by a child of the same age.

household benefits package

The allowances  comprises €35 / month towards electricity OR natural gas bill. Free TV licence.

illness benifit

You may get Illness Benefit from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) if you cannot work because you are sick or ill. You must be aged under 66, covered by the appropriate class of social insurance (PRSI) and satisfy the PRSI conditions.

invalidity pension

Invalidity Pension is a weekly payment to people who cannot work because of a long-term illness or disability and are covered by social insurance (PRSI).

partial capacity benefit

Partial Capacity Benefit is a social welfare scheme which allows you to return to work or self-employment (if you have reduced capacity to work) and continue to receive a payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP).

The only mistake you can make is not asking for help
— Sandeep Jauhar

Pandemrix: While the notes which above apply in many instances to persons who have contracted narcolepsy subsequent to receiving the Pandemrix vaccine (insert link to jargon etc), there is a more comprehensive, or less restrictive,  availability of some entitlements available to Pandemrix related cases. The outline of entitlements which follows below does NOT take into account  these Pandemrix related variations. These variations are comprehensively dealt with by our sister organisation SOUND  and can be researched through their link: .    

Northern Ireland: The entitlements dealt with here apply to the Republic of Ireland only, and not to Northern Ireland, which is governed by UK legislation. To research similar details on UK entitlements that may be relevant to those affected by narcolepsy link to the Narcolepsy UK website.

Note: The abbreviation DEASP on this site stands for “Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.”